Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Yeah, yeah, I'm getting there

I've been meaning to write about my trip to Tasmania, but there was that whole final exam thing getting in the way... now that that's done, I'll get to it soon. But not right now. You know me: I'm long winded and I don't have the concentration or energy to describe our excellent Tasmania adventure right now.

Other than that, what's been going on in my last month here?

The last week of class was what's known as Stoneweek: a week of activities leading up to a 2 day music festival. For those of you at Mason, it's like Mason week if every event involved alcohol - and if we had a radio station and a brand of bourbon sponsoring the bands. (The former concert committee chair that I am, I of course stood there wondering how much the stage alone cost.)

Of course, the Arscott courtyard was a complete trash heap all week, and dumb people caused thousands of dollars of damage at some of the bars. And people had swimming races in the bacteria-infested lake. Each residence had its own tshirt to be worn all week - shirts displaying slogans so foul that I'd be too embarrassed to ever share them with my family. My floor also had rules for the week, such as "Each night you must use the pick up line 'If you were a new hamburger at McDonald's, you'd be McGorgeous.'"

Overall, I had a fantastic week, sometimes spectating more than participating, because people were just so entertaining. And the music festival was fantastic. (As was the John Butler Trio concert held on the same stage the following Monday.) And oh, I must tell you the highlight of Tuesday's trivia: Each person on the team could earn 5 points by peeing in a cup - as a special bonus, they'll call you in 2 weeks to let you know if you have chlamydia.

The next week, some of the Americans hosted a Halloween party. Australians don't really do Halloween - they sell decorations and costumes everywhere; they know what it is; some of them celebrated when they were little, but it's not really a big deal here. (This makes absolutley no sense to me as they take every other opportunity to dress up!) I dressed up as a boxer who always loses, and my fake bruises scared a lot of people who really believed that I got beat up by some Arscott hooligans.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Bob was a printer.

In other news, the huge Christmas tree and wreaths and garland have all been up in the mall since mid-October. Geez.

Saturday the International Office opened a $400 bar tab at the Lighty for an Exchange Student goodbye party. It was great - almost everyone came, dressed up, and stayed a long time. Jeremy put together a slide show of photos, which was played on the big screen in the bar, and he made copies for everyone.

People started leaving Sunday. So far, I'm not liking this whole saying goodbye thing. Nope, not liking it one bit.

Oh yeah, exams... they were fine. Both kinda took me by surprise - one because it was actually a decent test, unlike the poorly written excuse for an exam that was our midterm, and the other was the only exam of the semester so I had no idea what to expect. Exams were held in the gym. I've been told it happens other places, but I still thought it as weird.

Best looking exchange group ever:
(click image to enlarge)
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
love love love love love love love love love

3 comments:

Jenna Krall said...

whoa... for the first time I guess I read this on the day you wrote it, and I just had a minor meltdown thinking it was tuesday.... but it's still monday here, future girl.

CANT WAIT FOR YOU TO BE HOME!

KT said...

Your bruises look disturbingly real. I'm am super psyched to see you in like... 2 and a half weeks!! Woo!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you too (in 3 months) and hear about all the australian awesomeness! :D